Safari Ostrich Farm is of course not only a tourist farm but also a production farm. We, at Safari Ostrich Farm, farm with ostriches on an extensive basis for their meat, feathers and skins/leather.
Safari Ostrich Farm is about 1800 hectares in size and we have well over a thousand ostriches on our farm. We also farm with Lucernce (alfalfa) since this amazing seed-plant is the basis of their diet. At Safari Ostrich Farm 80% of the ostriches’ diet consists of Lucerne; the other 20% being mielies (maize corn) and a calcium supplement
Lucerne or Alfalfa is considered the king of animal feed in South Africa since it is high in moisture and a rich source of fibre and protein.